Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Playlist for Today, by the old Mad Dog Miller himself...

The Folk-Rock thing:

First, the Roots of Folk

The Weavers: Wimoweh
Terry Gilkyson and the Easy Riders: Marianne
The Tarriers: The Banana Boat Song
Harry Belafonte: Jamaica Farewell
The Kingston Trio: M.T.A.

More Roots

Pete Seeger: Turn, Turn Turn
Jim Kweskin and the Jug Band: Viola Lee Blues (Geoff Muldaur, vocals)
Dave Van Ronk: Cocaine
Holy Modal Rounders: Euphoria
Vince Martin and Fred Neil: I Know You Rider
The Big Three: Rider (same song)

Singer-Songwriters of the Folk Era

Buffy Ste. Marie: Codine
Eric Anderson: Violets of Dawn
Mimi and Richard Fariña: Pack Up Your Sorrows
Phil Ochs: The Flower Lady
Tom Paxton: Bottle of Wine

Contest for tickets:
Levon Helm: False Hearted Lover (From Dirt Farmer)

Going Electric

Bob Dylan: She Belongs to Me
The Blues Project: Steve’s Song
Jim and Jean: Changes
Tom Rush: I’m in Love Again
Loving Spoonful: Good Time Music
Tim Rose: Hey Joe

More Tickets:
Taj Mahal: She Caught the Katy (Live version)

The Byrds: So You Want To Be a Rock and Roll Star (live at Monterey Pop, with Hugh Masakela on trumpet)
Simon and Garfunkel: A Simple Desultory Philippic
Peter, Paul and Mary: I Dig Rock and Roll Music
Mamas and the Papas: Creeque Alley

Folk Rock, San Francisco Psychedelic style

Big Brother and the Holding Company: I Know You Rider (Live 66)
Country Joe and the Fish: Feel Like I’m Fixin’ to Die Rag (EP version)
Grateful Dead: Dark Star (Single version)
Jefferson Airplane: How Do You Feel?

And finally:

“Mad Dog” Miller doing the Disc Jockey Blues, accompanying himself on the 12-string guitar, in a bad mood and singing badly, from 1979...

For the past three years, I’ve had the pleasure of doing the Tuesday version of Lost and Found, in which we try to recreate the alternative-underground-progressive FM rock radio of the late 60’s. I hope I’ve succeeded. After doing the show weekly for a year, I got Eli to come out of retirement and alternate with me. Along the way, we’ve dug up my old Grateful Dead interview from 1967, and revisited the Monterey Pop festival, which I went to that same year. I also rediscovered a lot of great music that I used to play on the radio back then, and had forgotten about.
It’s been fun, but unfortunately, my day job calls, and I find that schedule conflicts make it impossible for me to continue on a regular basis. I will continue to be an active member of WMBR, and help out with our annual fund-raiser, and try to make the occasional guest appearance or fill-in.

Thanks to Eli for sharing his piece of the airwaves with me, and to all for all the good phone calls and support!

Larry Miller

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home